Friday, March 14, 2008

On the Ledge

Always wondered how it would feel. The wind is rushing past, blowing the remaining fall leaves into my space. My cave. Now lined with leaves, my talons crush them easily, shattering the brittle fibers as if they never existed. Looking out over my ledge, hundreds of feet above the fog line, above the ocean, above everything, my scales reflect purple back toward the intense sun. The bright iris of fire burns above me as the flame in my throat tickles, scratching to come forward and ignite. It is only a matter of time before my blaze will be called upon. Someone will break the peace of my ledge, my cave, my home sooner or later. I will only let out one roar. One warning. Heed this sound of caution, I beg. When the echo fades, I will not hesitate to release my fire and burn, until there is nothing left but ash...