Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Alley

So I'm at work, you know, working, and I can hear chatter outside my door. New picture: I work in a warehouse with a roll up door and outside that door is a the shady backside of a house that feeds and houses homeless people. I hope that's somewhat clear because the kicker is coming. It's about 9AM and I'm almost awake. I've been at work for about an hour. The chatter I hear is a group of women that work at the house in the picture above taking a smoke break. Still with me? A door opens and another woman steps out to join the others. The only thing I can make out without making my eavesdropping really, really obvious is that someone is 7 months pregnant. Sure enough it is the one that just joined the others. I figure she's discussing with the other women how she wishes she could join them for a smoke and by golly in 3 months she'll be able to. I butt out at this point and continue doing my work thang. A few moments later I turn around and the pregnant chick has not only joined the smoking circle but she has the nerve to light one up. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! 7 months pregnant, and my preconceived notion, my assumption for what she must have being saying couldn't have been more wrong. Did you think that was the kicker? Wait for it... So I ask my co-worker about those women and he said that pregnant one doesn't work there, he's pretty sure she's homeless. ARE YOU FREAKIN' SERIOUS!! Homeless, pregnant and never decided to kick a habit that is not only killing her but is now killing her soon-to-be- homeless son or daughter. I like to think the best of humanity, that there is hope for everyone to have a home, a job and a family...sigh...but there are moments where it just seems to be way, way out of reach.

Dragon on the Ledge

No comments: