Wednesday, April 13, 2011

When we met

Nine years ago I met someone. Four years ago I married that someone. Yes, it's been that long. As long as it's been, I can still remember the night I met my wife like it happened yesterday. Sure, that's a bit cliche, but what else can I say. Let me take you back nine years...

I was taking a poetry class my second quarter at UCSC. I had a small group of poetry nerds I hung out with, and every Tuesday we'd head down to 99 Bottles of Beer on the wall to take over the upstairs area, drink pitchers of discounted beer and write poetry. One Tuesday night, my buddy Tim brought his newish girlfriend, Freda. It just so happened that Freda had a roommate named Katie. That night I walked into the restaurant and I saw Tim talking to his girlfriend at the bar. I walked up to meet his new girl and Freda introduced me to her roommate.

Never in my life had I met someone so unique. (Keep in mind that I was going to UCSC) This girl had short red hair following the curves of her rounded face. Bangs hanging draped over one eye. Her eyes were not the same color and her smile was just so sweet. She was wearing socks on her hands cut into arm warmers. One was pink and one was purple. Her black skirt hung knee length hiding the tops of her black knee-high socks which disappeared into low top Doc Martins...

The next thing I remember, we were sitting upstairs with everyone else, only talking to each other. We sat across the table from each other, lost in our own bubble of a conversation. At some point everyone else left, leaving behind many empty pitchers of beer. Buzzed and not wanting the night to end, we decided to close the Irish pub down the block, Rosie McCann's. Every day after we spent together...that was 9 years ago.

To my best friend, wife and love of my existence...Happy Anniversary!!!

Dragon on the Ledge

No comments: